Sunday, September 21, 2014

Snubbed



Sometimes it is fun to attribute human characteristics to animals or flowers. That is what happened when I saw this group of four flowers blooming outside a hotel in the Canadian Rockies. The three on the right seemed to have turned their backs to the one on the left, hence the title “Snubbed.”

Once I saw the lineup of flowers, it was necessary to position the camera to isolate them from the rest of the nearby blooms, and then to control the background. Because part of the background was in sunlight and part was in shadow, I had three choices  -  either shoot from a low position so that the sunlit area filled the background, shoot from a higher position so that the shadowed area filled the background, or split the difference and make the background partly sunlit and partly shaded. I shot from all three angles and then chose my favorite after I downloaded and could look at them on the computer screen.

As you can see, I chose the view with a partly sunlit and partly shadowed background. In all cases I used a shallow depth of field in order to blur the background.

I find I have the most success when I shoot from a variety of angles and vantage points. Sometimes it is easier to see which view is better once you see the images on your computer screen, and it is nice to have choices after a day of shooting. So don’t lock yourself in to just one option. Take your time, shoot a lot of images, and make final decisions later.

TECHNICAL DATA
Shutter Speed 1/125 sec.  Aperture f/5.6.  ISO 400.  Lens: Canon 70-200mm f/4L IS with 1.4x extender for an effective focal length of 280mm.  Camera: Canon 6D.  Handheld.

TODAY’S QUOTE: “Nobody sees a flower - really - it is so small it takes time. We haven't time, and to see takes time, like to have a friend takes time."  --Georgia O'Keeffe

No comments:

Post a Comment