Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Be Bold


When all else fails, crop. Cropping can be a very powerful creative tool. While we all want to get the shot perfectly lined up in the camera before we click the shutter, there are times when that does not happen.

Sometimes we cannot get close enough to get the shot we really want, either because of the focal length of the lens, or because we just did not see all the possibilities when we took the shot. This was a case of wrong lens choice.

I had only one lens with me (the others had been left in my car) and this was the closest I could get to the flamingo at the time.
UNCROPPED
I knew I wanted tighter shots but I could not get them in this situation. At the time I did not think of such an extreme crop, but when I looked at the image on the computer screen later, I began to try different crops.

After several attempts, the extreme crop above was the view that I liked best. So never be afraid to try cropping images that you feel are weak, or need to be "zoomed in" on once you see the heart of the image.

TECHNICAL DATA
Shutter Speed 1/640 sec.   Aperture f/4.  ISO 400.  Lens: Canon 70-200mm f/4L IS, set at 200mm.  Camera: Canon 5D Mark III.  Handheld.

TODAY'S QUOTE: " Fortune favors the bold."  -  Virgil

2 comments:

  1. Love your BOLD Bird image. Well done.
    donrosshill@gmail.com
    Don Hill: image 1

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Don! Really appreciate your positive feedback.

    ReplyDelete