Friday, September 14, 2018

Slowly Working My Way Home


Today's Hurricane Florence update:
I left western North Carolina to avoid the flash flooding predicted for this weekend, and am now safely in Richmond, Virginia at my friend Jane's house. I skirted around the storm to the west, and then to the north to arrive in Richmond.

Along the interstates I traversed today, I saw two large trailers marked "Disaster Unit," apparently ready to travel to the hardest hit areas. I also saw 3 separate convoys of electric company bucket trucks traveling toward the hurricane area. Very sobering sights to say the least. And how wonderful that in a disaster there are those who are ready and willing to pitch in, to put themselves in harm's way, and to leave their homes and families in an effort to help others.

Today's photo is me with my feet up, finally relaxing in complete safety in Richmond.

Miraculously, the northern Outer Banks sustained no damage, my house is intact, and I plan to return home in the next couple of days. But for now, I am so lucky to be in a safe place, comfortable and dry. I cannot begin to imagine how many lives have been terribly disrupted, how many homes have been destroyed, how many people are emotionally shattered as a result of this storm, and how many lives have been and will be lost. Let's do all we can to help those in need, whether it is emotional, financial, or simply with our prayers and healing thoughts.

TECH SPECS
Selfie shot with iPhone 6 camera.

TODAY'S QUOTE: "If a natural disaster strikes, reach out to friends, neighbors, and complete strangers. Lend a helping hand."  --Marsha Blackburn

No comments:

Post a Comment