Sunday, September 13, 2015

Oh You Beautiful Dall (Sheep, That Is!)

AFTER

BEFORE
The next few blogs will cover more of the incredible things we saw in Alaska over the past several weeks. What a trip! The scenery, the wildlife, the experiences, and most importantly the people who traveled with me, were fantastic in all respects. Two separate groups accompanied me first to Glacier Bay National Park, and then to Denali National Park.

I returned to the east coast late last night, a bit tired but energized by all the pristine beauty and animals we saw.

The photos above are actually the same photo, cropped differently. The Before image shows the entire shot, taken with a Canon 70-200mm f/4L IS set to 200mm. The After image is cropped down to showcase the Dall Sheep more clearly. Today's high quality lenses have improved sharpness and images hold up well to serious cropping after the fact.

Why did I not use my longer Canon 100-400mm lens for this shot? Because this image was shot from the bus taking us to our lodge deep inside Denali National Park, and I had to choose one all-purpose lens to have with me for that leg of the trip. All my other gear was packed in my camera case for transport, and was inaccessible for this part of the journey. 

So which version do you prefer? Do you like the wider view showing the entire scene with the sheep being a tiny part of this huge expanse? Or do you prefer the closer crop which showcases the sheep? I'm eager to hear your comments. You can comment here on this blog, or on our Facebook page  https://www.facebook.com/Awake-The-Light-123508281034128/timeline/  or via email at awakethelight@charter.net 

TECHNICAL DATA
Shutter Speed 1/1000 sec.  Aperture f/5.6.  ISO 800.  Lens: Canon 70-200mm f/4L IS, set at 200mm.  Camera: Canon 5D Mark II.  Handheld.

TODAY'S QUOTE: "To the lover of wilderness, Alaska is one of the most wonderful countries in the world."  -John Muir

No comments:

Post a Comment