Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Tipping The Balance


This simple image took some time to set up. The first decision was how to frame the shot. I saw the main flower and the two buds in the background, and wanted to center the bloom. At my standing height, I could not see up into the yellow center of the flower so I bent my knees a bit to bring me lower and provide a better vantage point. Then I had to shift my position slightly so that the main flower was more or less centered between the two buds.

The flower was actually hanging straight down, but I wanted to introduce a slight diagonal line to the composition. So I tipped the camera slightly so that the flower was positioned at a slight angle.

The decision for depth of field was easy, since I prefer a soft look for flowers  -  a large aperture of f/4.

The only other main consideration was to be careful not to touch any of the poison ivy that was on the ground near my feel, and hanging down above my head. It seems that some of the most beautiful spring flowers in the mountains live in the same conditions that allow poison ivy to thrive!

TECHNICAL DATA
Shutter Speed 1/200 sec.  Aperture f/4.  ISO 800.  Lens: Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS.  Camera: Canon 5D Mark III.  Handheld.

TODAY'S QUOTE: "Good art is art that allows you to enter it from a variety of angles and to emerge with a variety of views."  --Mary Schmich

No comments:

Post a Comment