Tuesday, June 3, 2014

You Never Know


Today I need to paint you a picture to explain how this photo came to be. I was in my car in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. It was a rainy spring afternoon. Several deer were cavorting in a nearby field, unperturbed by the heavy rain and gray skies.

I, on the other hand, had absolutely no desire to don raingear, leave the dry comfort of my vehicle,  and slog around in the soaking wet tall grass. As I sat in my car having a silent internal debate with myself about being a wimp and missing out on some good photo ops, I noticed the patterns of the water running down the window.

Now THAT was a good excuse to stay put! I could do abstracts and stay high and dry. I had my macro lens nearby, so I snapped it on and began to take a few photos of the patterns. The green color is the gorgeous spring green of the soaking wet grass I mentioned above. The darker area along the right side of the image is the side mirror.

In all honesty, I had gotten some photos of deer earlier, so I did not feel compelled to photograph these particular deer in the rain. Another good excuse? You betcha!

But in any case, I came away with some abstract shots I liked. I never expected to get abstracts on this trip to the Smokies, so this was an unexpected treat.

TECHNICAL DATA
Shutter Speed 1/400 sec.  Aperture f/3.5.  ISO 800.  Lens: Canon 100mm macro f/2.8L IS.  Camera: Canon 5D Mark III.  Handheld.

TODAY'S QUOTE: "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain."  --Vivian Greene

No comments:

Post a Comment