Sunday, April 29, 2018

Nature's Grace


In nature, the simplest things can become lovely images. This stilt turned itself into an art piece with the gentle curve of the head, and the graceful angle of its legs. Things happen very fast with birds and wildlife, and you have to be ready to shoot with no warning.

I am on my way to the Creative Flowers Master Class at Longwood Gardens in Pennsylvania which begins on Monday. So I made an unscheduled stop at Bombay Hook National Wildlife Refuge in Delaware on the way. It was a partly cloudy day with a lot of bird activity. I saw a lot of bald eagles, both mature and immature, but it was the stilts that made the biggest impact on me. These delicate birds seem so fragile, yet are strong and skillful flyers. They move quickly, so shooting with rapid burst enabled me to capture different body and head positions in quick succession.

TECH SPECS
1/1600 sec., f/8, ISO 400.  Canon 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II with Canon 1.4x III telextender for an effective focal length of 560mm, on Canon 7D Mark II body. Handheld.

TODAY'S QUOTE: "I photograph to find out what something would look like photographed."
-- Gary Winogrand 

No comments:

Post a Comment