Sunday, January 25, 2015

Mirror, Mirror, On The Wall, er, Car


While riding through one of my favorite places, Monument Valley National Tribal Park at the Arizona / Utah border, I happened to glance at the car's side mirror and was rewarded with this great view.  It is one of the park's famous Mitten formations perfectly framed by the mirror.

Normally I try to eliminate any sign of civilization when I am photographing a natural scene, and I had done so in earlier shots of the Mittens. But as I was heading back to the hotel, I was lucky enough to see this Mitten come into view in the mirror, and it seemed like a unique shot asking to be taken.

Because it was a very clear day with bright blue skies, the exposure was easy. The light on the large butte outside the window was the same as on the Mitten. The inside of the car is dark, and does not distract from the rest of the image.

Very little optimization was needed on this image. The sky needed a bit more saturation, but that was about it.

TECHNICAL DATA
Shutter Speed 1/160 sec.  Aperture f/20.  ISO 400.  Lens: Canon 17-40mm, set to 40mm.  Camera: Canon 5D Mark III.  Handheld.

TODAY'S QUOTE: "...there are blessings in the desert. You can be pulled into the limitless,...or you can do the beauty of minutiae...."

No comments:

Post a Comment