Thursday, July 3, 2014

Faux Macro


This close up shot looks like a macro shot, but technically it is not. I say that because I was really not in this tight when I took the shot. You can see the original shot here.
That was the closest I could get with the macro lens, since I did want to scare the butterfly away.

You have heard me talk about cropping many times before. Cropping can be a very powerful tool. I am not suggesting being sloppy in how you frame your shots, but there are times when you just cannot, for a variety of reasons, get the shot you want. In those cases there is no shame in cropping, even as tightly as I did here.


Today's cameras and lenses are usually good enough to allow you to crop in tightly without losing significant amounts of detail. That being said, I would not recommend cropping to this degree in hopes of getting a beautiful large print to hang over the mantle. But for smaller prints as gifts, or small prints for competition, or images to be shared electronically with family and friends, you can often get away with some pretty extreme crops.

When you crop to this degree, you want to crop away extraneous areas and find the heart of the image. What is the image all about? What do you want to highlight? Think about those questions as you are cropping. Try different crops to see what works best.

Consider it play time. Play to your heart's content until you find just the right crop and the right ratio that makes you happy.

TECHNICAL DATA
Shutter Speed 1/500 sec.  Aperture f/8.  ISO 400.  Lens: Canon 100mm macro f/2.8L IS.  Camera: Canon 5D Mark III.  Handheld.

TODAY'S QUOTE: "It is impossible to be truly artistic without the risk of offending someone somewhere." Wayne Gerard Trotman

No comments:

Post a Comment